Monday, May 22, 2006

THE SCIENCE FICTION HALL OF FAME

I’ve always been proud of my family. We stick together like old syrup on a plate, sweet and persistent. And this June we all get to stick together again thanks to my grandfather, Frank Herbert, who will be inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame. “The Family” will come together and witness this momentous occasion on June 17th in Seattle, Washington.

Hugo award winning author Neil Gaiman (creator of the highly successful Sandman Neil GaimanChronicles) will host the event around 7:30 pm while we all acknowledge the amazing accomplishments of my grandfather’s able mind — the Dune novels chief among them. Unfortunately this all comes posthumously, as Grandpa died in 1986. But that’s no one’s fault, especially not the SF Hall of Fame. They’ve only been around a short while.

Along with my grandfather, others will be inducted that same day. Most notable to many will bGeorge Lucas in the desert? Hmm...e George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars movie series. George Lucas has been quoted as saying that Dune (my grandfather’s creation) was “an inspiration” to him when he started working on Star Wars. Many people have made comparisons between the two, but that’s water under the bridge. We’ll sit and watch Mr. Lucas receive his accolades, too.

In addition to George Lucas and Frank Herbert, the inductees that day include SF marvel Anne McCaffrey, author of The Dragonriders of Pern series, and Frank Kelly Freas, a ten-time Hugo award-winning illustrator of SF books and magazines.


From left to right -- Frank Kelly Freas, Anne McCaffrey, Frank Herbert, George Lucas
It should be a fun event and one that I’m proud to say I’ll be a part of ...thanks to my family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home